Friday, January 18, 2008

Hello from Kunming

My travels have been successful so far; no major accidents or inconveniences. But it has been quite an adventure.


I managed to fall ill the night before I left for Chengdu. Because of the snow in Xi'an, we had to leave super early (4am) for the airport to catch our 8am flight. While I was still groggy from the Nyquil I took 4 hours before, we mangaged to catch a cab to the airport without too much hassle. Chengdu was a really nice city; the public buses were easy to navigate and there was lots to see and do. However, the weather there and my sickness contributed to me hating Chengdu with a passion. It was rainy and damp the entire time we were there, and because of it's position south of the "North-South" line in China, there is absolutely no heating indoors. The only source of heat they have is their supremely spicy cuisine which can't help but warm your insides. Our first day there, we were treated to a bowl of chilli peppers and duck heads (pictures to follow). It wasn't all bad, though, for our trip to the Panda Research Base and Breeding Center was the highlight of my short life. We had to get there early (between 8:30 and 9:30) to catch the pandas while they were feeding and before they fell asleep for the rest of the day. There's no words to describe the cuteness of the whole spectacle (especially the panda cubs), but I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance.


Kunming has been really enjoyable so far, and it definitely buoyed my spirits after our stay in Chengdu. The weather here is much nicer, and you can actually see the sky! (as opposed to Xi'an) The first day here, we got our Vietnamese visas sorted out, which will be finished on Monday afternoon. Monday evening we're taking a loonng bus ride (there's no train on the Chinese side) to Hekou, the last stop in China before reaching Vietnam. The plan from there is to catch a train into Hanoi, where we'll stay for a few days. In the mean time, I'll be exploring Kunming's numerous parks and temples and enjoying all the coffee and Western food available.

No comments: