Monday, May 12, 2008

I'm okay!

I'm safe and sound after the earthquake that struck China this afternoon. The center of the quake was actually not far from Xi'an, in Sichuan Province, just south of here. The tremors actually interrupted a game of kickball I was having with my students (to teach them about American baseball culture.. or something). I thought I was just a little dizzy from shouting too much and from the afternoon heat, but it took my students a few minutes to remember the word "earthquake!" (even though we studied 'Natural Disasters' less than a month ago), and we all dropped to the ground. Students and faculty were forced out of all the dormitories and classroom buildings and afternoon classes were canceled. This gave my students an extra two hours to appreciate the finer points of kickball (which, by the way, they thoroughly enjoyed-pictures to follow soon). In typical China fashion, we were left sitting outside on the pavement for the next couple hours without any updates on the situation, when we would be allowed back inside, or even why we were sitting outside for so long in the first place. So I decided to cut my losses, cancel my evening classes and catch the next bus back to my apartment. We've been really fortunate here and haven't witnessed any major damage, although one of the new buildings on campus is sporting some serious cracks in the facade. A few of my students, as well, were trying to get in contact with their families who live not far from the center of the quake. Fortunately, they are all okay. Yet, the death toll is already at 190 and some estimates have gone as high as 5,000, so please keep us all in your thoughts as the real extent of the damage is sorted out.

No comments: