Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Too Much Recycling is a Bad Thing

A few weeks ago, I came across this article. It tells that certain ingenious entrepreneurs in China have been recycling used condoms into colorful hair bands resulting in a much cheaper product than the traditional methods. I forwarded the article to a few other foreign teachers in China, and we all had a good laugh. China's recycling system is above and beyond anything found in the States. Every trash bag is sorted to remove all plastics, papers, metals, and... condoms?

Today, while shopping for some Christmas gifts in an open market, I spotted a package of hair bands that looked suspiciously like those pictured in the online article.


My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to buy them. When I got home, I took one of the hair ties and unwrapped the thread only to find this:


A further internet search revealed that "local entertainment venues" may contribute a large number of the condoms.
Gross.

No comments: